Thursday, September 13, 2007

Fall comes blowing

Fall comings blowing wind from the south all week. I bet after this we will get a frost. It's time!! I have started my classes and I am taking Alaska Native Education/ED420 (as some of you are). The assigned book that caught my attention was by Deloria, J. Vine & Wildcat. It caught my attention because some native educators, not just from Alaska, are finally realizing the idea the book is talking about. That is why it has been so strongly reccommended that native history be recorded, not especially from a western view, but from a native view. I really like the book and it is very easy to read. I have already reccomended it to several of the native teachers in the school I work at.
I attended a school board meeting this week at our school and it was good to hear good things happening to the highschool graduates from our school. It was also interesting to hear what was going on in other areas of the school, not just where I usually work at. I might attend another meeting just to hear what's going on besides the kindergarten room I usually work in. Tua-i-ki -tak that means thats it for me. Have to get back to my life. God Bless! take care!

3 comments:

skipvia said...

How do you think you (or other Native educators) might be able to use some of the media that we have been learning about to record Native history? I'm thinking about digital video (capture some stories, interviews, activities), slide shows, blogs, etc. Do you think this would be a legitimate way to record and preserve Native history? What about getting some high school students involved in doing some of the recording?

I'd love to hear your ideas on this.

Margaret Avugiak said...

It seems our school hasn't done some interviewing of our elders or the eskimo dancing in a while. They have alot of VCR tapes in the school library. I think the VCR was a lot easier for the students to work with but thats my opionion. Something I think would helpthe students is something similiar with the VCR equipment that can be used instantly on a computer at a students desk.Maybe their is one already but I don't know about it. The camera is okey for pictures but it doesn't capture sound. I agree that some of the media we used can be used, it might take longer for the student to work with it but it still can be done if a teacher knows the equipment and software. Right now our school does not have any digital video camera and to get one the principle would have to approve it. It would also depend on the school budget. Did you know the most of the school budget get to go to the cost of heating fuel? and that seems to go up every year as the war drags on. Anyway it would be a good activity if students could use modern technology equipment to record more native history or culture activities or anything in their lifestyles.

skipvia said...

I don't recall if your school uses Macs or PCs. If they use Macs, you may already have a video camera built into one of them. All of the current Mac laptops come with built in cameras and software (iMovie) that can be used to record interviews right on the computer. The same goes for current iMacs and even some of the older iMacs. Check and see.

VHS tapes can be turned into digital video, but it requires either a digital video camera that has what is called a "pass though" feature (the ability to convert analog video to digital) or a VHS player that can do the same thing. It would be wonderful to take all those existing VHS tapes, convert them to digital, and store them on DVDs and even on a web site to preserve them and to get them in front of a wider audience.